0343 658 0212

call us: monday - friday: 8am - 7pm
saturday: 9am - 5pm


Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I have not received my documents?

Your policy is sent to you via the email address you provide us. Please note that some internet providers filter out automated e-mails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the e-mail has not been received. If you haven’t received it please email us at admin@aviostravelinsurance.com or call us on 0343 658 0212 to send it again.

Alternatively for a small postage charge, your documents can be delivered by post.

Is it better value to take out travel insurance individually or as a couple, family or group?

Avios offers travel insurance to all of the above variations, however we do offer discounts to couples & families.

Can we travel independently on our couple/family travel insurance policy?

Each adult can travel independently. Dependant children can travel independently provided they are accompanied at all times by a responsible adult.

How many children can I insure on a family policy?

Up to four (4) dependent children under the age of 18.

How many times can I travel on my Annual Multi-trip insurance?

You can travel as many times as you wish on the Annual Multi-trip insurance, the area is dependent on the type of policy you have purchased. The annual insurance can be purchased for Europe or Worldwide which allows you to travel anywhere in the world, providing the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has not restricted travel to a particular country.

You need to take into consideration the length of time that you are travelling. Any individual trip must not exceed 31 days.

I forgot to take travel insurance before I left the U.K can I still be covered?

Unfortunately you can not be covered if you have left the UK.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

Please ensure that you take a copy of your certificate of insurance and a copy of the full policy wording - these documents contain important numbers that you may require whilst travelling.

Lost passport?

You should report the loss or theft of your passports to the local police as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification form. You should also report the loss or theft to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office. You can obtain details of your local FCO office wherever you are by calling +44 (0) 20 7008 1500 (020 7008 0232 within the UK) or by visiting the FCO website. The FCO will issue you with replacement travel documents so that you can travel back to the UK.

What happens if my bag is stolen with all my travel documents and money whilst I am travelling?

You must report theft or losses to the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of the event and obtain a written report. These reports are the only proof that the loss/theft did actually occur. Without them the underwriter cannot make any payment to you. If you leave luggage and personal items unattended in a public place then the underwriter cannot be held responsible for any resultant claim. You should always take reasonable care to look after your property and treat it as if it were not insured. There is no cover for cash or valuables left in an unattended vehicle at any time, even if the vehicle is locked.

Am I covered if strike/industrial action occurs?

If departure from or to the UK Area is delayed for at least 12 hours from the scheduled time of departure as a result of strike or industrial action the insurer will compensate you as follows:

  • Travel Delay - The amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for the first full 12 hour period of delay, up to the maximum amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, provided that you obtain in writing from the carrier a statement confirming the length and exact nature of the delay.
  • Abandonment - If you choose to cancel your trip following a delay of no less than 12 hours beyond the scheduled departure time (and written confirmation obtained from the carrier), the Insurer will indemnify you up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for travel, accommodation, car hire & excursions paid or contracted to be paid by you in respect of your own trip (prior to any occurrence giving rise to a claim under this section) and which are not recoverable elsewhere.

Are my glasses covered?

Yes, there is cover for sunglasses and prescription glasses on our policies, they are included as valuables. However, the maximum amount that will be paid for sunglasses or prescription glasses of any kind is £50.

Geographical Limits

Does Avios cover non UK residents?

Avios policies are only available to residents of the UK and are registered with a medical practitioner. However if you are not a UK resident please contact us directly as we may be able to offer you an alternative policy.

Am I covered to travel within the UK?

You are covered for trips in the UK Area providing you have at least two nights pre-booked and paid accommodation.

What countries are covered by Avios?

The geographical limits are;

Area 1 – Your home country within the United Kingdom.

Area 2 – Europe - Means the continent of Europe west of the Ural Mountains including the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and all countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, as well as Madeira and The Azores, including Spain, The Canaries, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta and Switzerland. For residents of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands travelling to the United Kingdom, the United Kingdom shall be considered as Europe.

Area 3 - Worldwide - Means anywhere in the world.

Can I upgrade my policy?

Yes, you can upgrade your policy to a different geographical limit, add winter sports cover, golf cover or wedding cover upon payment of additional premium subject to terms and conditions. However once the policy has been purchased you are unable to add an excess waiver, gadget cover or car hire excess to the policy. Please contact one of our friendly members of staff on 0343 658 0212.

What do I do if I plan to visit more than one country?

You would need to select the geographical limit that includes all of your destinations, so for example if you are travelling to Spain and then France you would select the European policy. However if you are going to Dubai and then stopping off in Italy for a few days, you would need to purchase a Worldwide policy.

Which area would I need to purchase if travelling to Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey and Morocco?

With Avios these countries are all covered under our Europe area.

Policy & Purchase Details

How can I purchase travel insurance from you?

You can purchase our policies online or alternatively you can call one of our friendly members of staff in our UK call centre on 0343 658 0212 and they will help you tailor a policy to suit your needs.

What is the difference between Standard, Premier and Super cover?

These are the different levels of cover offered under this policy. Standard offers the least cover, with the highest excess for the cheapest premium. Premier offers a wider range of cover at higher levels with no excess for a lot of the cover and is priced reasonably. Luxury cover provides the widest range of cover and the highest levels of protection for you and requires you to pay the least amount of excess. It also includes Winter Sports, Golf, Special Sports and Business Cover at no additional premium. As a result Luxury cover is the more expensive choice.

What ages do I enter to obtain a quote?

Please enter the age at the time of purchase.

When do I start my policy from?

At the time of booking your travel arrangements to ensure you have adequate cancellation cover for that trip. However, when purchasing a Single Trip travel policy you select your trip dates and your cancellation cover will start on the day of purchase.

How can I pay for my travel insurance?

You can pay online using our secure system where all data is encrypted. We hold your details according to the Data Protection Act 1998.

If you do not feel comfortable online then you can call one of our friendly staff in our UK call centre on 0343 658 0212 and they will help you with your policy.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Maestro/Switch, Solo, Visa Electron, Delta and American Express.

What are my cancellation rights?

You have the right to cancel your policy within 14 days of the purchase providing there are no claims pending on the policy and you haven’t already travelled.

Can I update my details?

If you need to change names and/or your address, please contact us on 0343 658 0212.

Can I extend my stay whilst away?

Unfortunately, you are unable to extend your policy whilst you are away; therefore you need to ensure that you are purchasing the correct policy. However if due to unforeseen circumstances such as the flight being cancelled or delayed due to no fault of your own, the policy will be automatically extended for you.

Am I covered for cancellation?

You are covered for the cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wording. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

What is a policy excess?

Most sections of the policy carry an Excess and this works exactly the same as car insurance. This is the first amount of any claim that you will have to pay. The amount may vary depending on the level of cover you have chosen. It is applicable per person per section of the policy. The Excess will be reduced to NIL if you have used an EHIC (Formally E111) to reduce your medical expenses bill or paid the Excess Waiver upgrade.


What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

Single Trip policies we insure up to 115 online, however there is no maximum age for this cover - if you are over 115 and require cover for a single trip, please contact our UK call centre on 0343 658 0212.

Annual Multi-trip policies we insure up to and including 75.

Winter sports - 70 years of age at time of purchasing your insurance.

For customers over the ages mentioned above, we can still arrange cover

Click here for more information

I forgot to take travel insurance before I left the UK can I still be covered?

Unfortunately you cannot be covered if you have left the UK.

What is classed as a UK resident?

This policy is only available to you if you are permanently resident in the United Kingdom and registered with a medical practitioner in one of these areas.

Can non UK residents be covered under your policy?

No, only UK residents can purchase the Avios policy.

Medical and Health

Does Avios cover pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes. If you have a pre-existing medical condition then you should check to see whether this is covered under the Waived Conditions list on page 3 of your Policy Wording. If the condition is not on this list, or you have more than one condition and one of them is not on this list, then you need to contact the Medical Screening helpline to declare all your pre-existing medical conditions.

You can contact ROCK Insurance Group on 0333 300 2134. Your pre-existing medical conditions will not be covered unless you have declared all conditions, received acceptance of this in writing, and paid an additional premium.

If cover is refused for my medical condition am I still covered?

You will not be covered should any event arise as a result of your pre-existing medical condition. However, all other events/circumstances will still be covered under the policy providing that the terms and conditions are met.

What do I do in the event of a medical emergency?

Please notify the assistance company immediately about any serious illness or accident abroad where you have to go into hospital or return home early (you should first check that the circumstances are covered by your policy).

For all queries about medical assistance on policies please contact Global Response on:

Medical Assistance: 00 44 (0) 343 658 0342.

Am I covered if I am pregnant?

Yes, cover is provided for complications of pregnancy. Pregnancy itself is not deemed to be an illness or pre-existing medical condition. Cover will only apply if a complication of pregnancy occurs during your period of cover and it must not be related a previous complication prior to the purchase of your cover. Please refer to the meaning of words in the policy wording for the definition of complications of pregnancy. Please note that if the due date coincides with the time of travel there is no cover under this policy.

How does this insurance work alongside Reciprocal Health Agreements?

In the European Union: If you are travelling to countries in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you must take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. You can apply online for your EHIC at https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card or by calling the automated EHIC application service on 0300 3301350. Your application should be completed and validated before you travel. This will allow you to benefit from the reciprocal health arrangements, which exist within these countries. You should take reasonable steps to use these arrangements where possible. If we agree to a claim for medical expenses which has been reduced by you using an EHIC you will not have to pay the excess amount under the Medical Expenses Section. Where it is necessary for you to provide evidence of the medical costs incurred, this must show that the medical fee has been reduced by use of the EHIC.
Australia and Non-European Economic Area (EEA) countries: When you are travelling to Australia and you have to go to hospital, you must enrol for treatment under the National Medicare Scheme. The United Kingdom also has reciprocal healthcare agreements with other non-EEA countries and territories. Details can be found at www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/

Emergencies and Claims

What do I do in an emergency?

Please notify the assistance company immediately about any serious illness or accident abroad where you have to go into hospital or return home early (you should first check that the circumstances are covered by your policy). You, or someone on your behalf, must contact the assistance company before incurring costs above £500.

For all queries about medical assistance on policies please contact Global Response on:

Medical Assistance: 00 44 (0) 343 658 0342.

How do I make a claim?

Claims forms can be obtained from travelclaims@global-response.co.uk. Alternatively telephone Global Response on 00 44 (0) 343 658 0345, giving your name and Certificate number and brief details of Your claim.

Please note that it is a condition of your policy that you notify us of your intention to make a claim within 28 days of your return date.

When you contact us please ensure that you have the following information available to you as we will require it to process your claims.

Your policy number
Date of purchase of your policy
Travel itinery
Country and resort you visited or intended to visit
Actual or intended travel dates
Incident date
Brief circumstances of your claim
Value of your claim

Sports & Activities – Including Golf

Does Avios cover sports?

Yes. Obviously different sports have differing levels of risk, so we have split sports and activities into four different tables.

Table A - you are automatically covered under the Avios policy (e.g. swimming).

Table B (e.g. Go karting) - you are automatically covered under the policy however there is no cover for personal accident or personal liability (see policy wording for further details..

Table C (e.g. Jet Skiing) - offers greater-risk sports and activities and can be added to your policy for an additional premium at the ‘tailor your policy’ section of our quote process.

Table D (e.g. Rugby) - offers greater-risk sports and activities and can be added to your policy for an additional premium at the ‘tailor your policy’ section of our quote process. No cover will apply in respect of any Personal Accident or Personal Liability claims and the policy excess will be increased to £250 under Emergency Medical Expenses, (see policy wording for full details).

What does no cover in respect of Personal Accident and Personal Liability mean?

Personal accident - No cover will apply, if you suffer accidental bodily injury during the trip, which within 12 months is the sole and direct cause of death or disablement.

Personal liability - No cover will apply, if in the course of a trip you become liable for accidental bodily injury to or the death of, any person and/or accidental loss of or damage to their property.

However, Personal Accident and Personal Liability are separate sections within the policy and cover under Medical Emergency would still apply.

Am I covered for scuba diving?

Yes, you are covered for scuba diving at no additional premium on Avios policies up to 30m, within the terms and conditions of special sports and activities table A.

Now get covered with our single trip travel insurance or annual travel insurance.

Can I get Golf Cover?

Avios offers a special golf insurance cover which can be added at the ‘tailor your policy’ section of the quote process.

We offer excellent cover for your golf equipment up to £500 and up to £300 per single item. So make sure you are covered with our golf travel insurance.

Are my golf clubs covered?

Providing you have purchased the additional golf cover upgrade, your golf clubs are covered up to a maximum of £750, depending on which policy you have taken out. Now get a quote for golf travel insurance.

What do you describe golf equipment to be?

Golf clubs, golf bags, golf shoes, golf trolley owned or hired by you. Now get a quote for golf travel insurance.

Winter Sports

What age can I get winter sports cover up to?

Provided you are 70 or under at the time of purchase, you can purchase our winter sports upgrade at the tailor your policy stage of our quote process. If you are over the age of 70 and require cover for winter sports, please contact 0343 658 0212. Now get a quote for winter sports travel insurance.

What activities are covered for Winter Sports?

This policy will cover you when you are engaging in the following winter sports on a non-competitive and non-professional basis during your trip when you have paid the additional winter sports premium: Cat skiing (with guides), Snow blading (no jumping tricks), Cross country skiing, Snow bobbing, Glacier skiing, Snow scooting, Ice hockey, Snow shoe walking, Langlauf (cross country skiing), Snow shoeing, Monoskiing (not for time trials/speed skiing or racing), Snow tubing, Skiing on piste, Snow blading, Skiing or snowboarding off piste (within local ski patrol guidelines), Snow boarding on piste, Sledging/tobogganing.
Now get a quote for winter sports travel insurance.

Am I covered for off-piste skiing?

Yes, when within local ski partol guidelines.
Now get a quote for winter sports travel insurance.

Am I covered if my skis/snowboard go missing in transit?

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, up to the amount outlined in your Policy Wording.
Now get a quote for winter sports travel insurance.

Am I covered for piste closure, avalanche or landslide and loss or theft of my ski pass?

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, to the amounts outlined in your Policy Wording.
Now get a quote for winter sports travel insurance.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

We aim to deal with any complaint within 24 hours of receipt however we guarantee that you will be contacted by letter or telephone within 5 working days of receipt of your complaint. This will either be a response to your complaint or if we are not able to respond at this time we will inform you of who is handling your complaint, provide a reference for your complaint, and explain why we are unable to respond at this time. If after 4 weeks, we have still been unable to resolve your complaint you will receive a further letter informing you of our progress.

If after a further 4 weeks we are still unable to resolve your complaint you will receive a letter explaining why we cannot respond to your complaint. We will indicate when we expect to respond and will provide details of your right to refer your complaint to The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR. Tel: 0800 023 4 567.

Your statutory rights are not affected if you choose to follow any of the complaints procedures above. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.

I cannot find the answer to my question.

What next? Please contact us on admin@aviostravelinsurance.com